[mpich-devel] detecting mpirun mismatch

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 16:48:21 CDT 2014

Does anyone know of a good way to detect when the user has built an
MPI application with mpicc from implementation A and tries to launch
with mpirun/mpiexec from implementation B?

I know that inside of the application, I can use either
MPI_Get_library_version or preprocessor info to know what
implementation I am using.  But can I discover anything about mpirun
inside of the application?  Is there anything in the environment that
I can query to know if my PM is Hydra, for example?  If not, can that
be added?

This is a relatively common user error that leads to very bad things
in some cases so it would be nice to be able to detect it and throw a
warning/error.

Thanks,

Jeff Hammond
jeff.science at gmail.com