[mpich-discuss] mpifort wrapper compiler?

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 07:00:55 CST 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 5:55 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)
<jsquyres at cisco.com> wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2013, at 7:48 PM, Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Keep in mind that there have not been any "Fortran 77" compilers for over 30 years.
>>> The distinction is artificial and arbitrary...
>>
>> I suppose you'd say we no longer need a C89 compiler as long as we have a C++03 compiler?
>>
>> Do _strictly_ F2008 compilers support Hollerith constants, entry points, and computed goto?
>
> I don't understand the point you're trying to make -- please explain?

You said there haven't been F77 compilers for 30 years.  This assumes
backwards compatibility of Fortran completely non-conflicting
features.  I am asserting this is false.

I'm going to write some tests and get back to you.  But I know for a
fact that the IBM XLF compiler chokes on F77 comment style when it is
compiling in F90+ mode.