[mpich-discuss] The max amount of data each process can send in MPI_Alltoallv

jt.meng jt.meng at siat.ac.cn
Fri Dec 13 22:47:41 CST 2013

Hi, Huiwei,
       I think the best solution for your question is cuting the data buffers into smaller sizes.   However, This may be not easy.
       According to my experience, the suggestions are
           1.  Do not use  MPI_Alltoallv, and use nonblocking communication insted, such as MPI_send and MPI_irecv.
           2.  In solution 1, each data buffer can not exceeds 2GB too,   If the data is too large,  I think we should develop a class encapsulated with the data buffer cuting method.

      However, using int as the parameters' type in MPI communication primitives is not reasonable.  As we know, in x86_64 machine,  sizeof(int)=4, however sizeof(long) and sizeof(long long int)=8, we should support the new parameter type of long and long long int.

jt.meng