[mpich-devel] datatype accessors with uncommited datatypes

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Thu Dec 27 14:05:59 CST 2012

The standard is already clear - commit is only required when the datatype is used for communication.  It is unnecessary for the standard to list all cases where commit is not required - it is enough to list where commit *is* required, which it does.

From a practical standpoint, the purpose of commit is to give the MPI implementation the opportunity to build specialized datatype pack/unpack code at runtime.  This is irrelevant for the accessor functions.  For example, the size of the datatype is independent of any optimizations for data communication, which is what the commit step is for.  This is a clear error in MPICH; it is unnecessary to bother the Forum with this.

Bill

William Gropp
Director, Parallel Computing Institute
Deputy Director for Research
Institute for Advanced Computing Applications and Technologies
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign