[mpich-devel] binding a new MPI type with fortran

Bob Cernohous bobc at us.ibm.com
Wed Apr 3 09:19:59 CDT 2013

I've been out sick and haven't followed this conversation too closely, but
I've gotten a support note that seems somewhat related -- at least they're
asking about external32.  Any comments from the experts before I try to
dig in?  ROMIO supports external32?  A quick search shows external32 code
is common, not ad_bg specific.

---------
The MPI standard defines a portable data representation for MPI I/O,
see e.g. [1]. On BGQ, attempting to write data via MPI I/O with
the data representation set to 'external32', MPI does not report any
errors but the data written is not in the correct format. Furthermore
trying to read the data back with the same data representation fails
and does not reproduce the original data.

The example Fortran code does the following:
1) write a few numbers (integer, float and double) to file via MPI I/O
in native format
2) read the numbers back in native format
3) write the same numbers to file in external32 format
4) output MPI errors/success when using MPI I/O
5) read the numbers back from file

1+2 work flawlessly
3+4 show no errors and instead indicate MPI SUCCESS
5 fails to reproduce correct numbers

The data written in 1) appears as big endian data as expected. The
data written in 3) seems to be little endian (for integer and float)
and strangely byte-swapped for doubles.

[1] http://www.mpi-forum.org/docs/mpi21-report/node285.htm

Bob Cernohous:  (T/L 553) 507-253-6093

BobC at us.ibm.com
IBM Rochester, Building 030-2(C335), Department 61L
3605 Hwy 52 North, Rochester,  MN 55901-7829