[mpich-devel] ROMIO collective i/o memory use

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 6 14:54:28 CDT 2013

On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 02:30:15PM -0500, Bob Cernohous wrote:
> > From: Rob Ross <rross at mcs.anl.gov>
> >
> > Should we consider this as interest in working on this problem on
> > the IBM side :)? -- Rob
>
> Say what?! ;)

RobR's excited that IBM's looking at the ROMIO piece of DCMF.  We
thought we were on our own with that one.

> I was looking more for agreement that collective i/o is 'what it
> is'... and maybe some idea if we just have some known limitations on
> scaling it.  Yes, that BG alltoallv is a bigger problem that we can avoid
> with an env var -- is that just going to have to be 'good enough'?  (I
> think that Jeff P wrote that on BG/P and got good performance with that
> alltoallv.  Trading memory for performance, not unusual, and at least it's
> selectable.)

I can't test while our Blue Gene is under maintenance.    I know the
environment variable selection helps only a little bit (like improves
scaling from 4k to 8k maybe?  don't have the notes offhand).

==rob

--
Rob Latham
Argonne National Lab, IL USA