[mpich-devel] ROMIO collective i/o memory use

Rob Ross rross at mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 6 15:03:52 CDT 2013

Hi,

Let's separate collective I/O the concept from collective I/O the implementation in ROMIO.

Lots of things we *could* do:
- switch to a different internal representation of noncontiguous regions, perhaps dramatically decreasing memory allocation when exchanging regions
- switch to a different collective I/O algorithm that uses some hierarchy to reduce number of processes for which space must be allocated
- don't globally coordinate, but rather coordinate more loosely to reduce communication and memory allocation requirements
- …

I'm sure we can come up with more ideas, some of which would be new research and some of which would be mostly engineering. All relatively major activities. Thus my question :).

Rob