[mpich-devel] ROMIO collective i/o memory use

Jeff Hammond jhammond at alcf.anl.gov
Mon May 6 16:35:11 CDT 2013

Do alltoallv actually run faster than send-recv for the MPIO use case?
 For >1MB messages, is alltoallv noticeably faster than a well-written
send-recv implantation?

At least on BGQ, send-recv turns into a receiver-side PAMI_Rget for
large messages; I would guess the optimized alltoallv implementation
is rput-based at the SPI level.  Other than overhead, they should run
at the same speed, no?  If execution overhead is not significant, then
the implementation that minimizes memory usage should be the default.

I suppose I should just write alltoallv using send-recv and see what
the difference is...

Jeff

--
Jeff Hammond