[mpich-devel] ROMIO collective i/o memory use

Jeff Hammond jhammond at alcf.anl.gov
Mon May 6 16:55:15 CDT 2013

There are at least a few cases where BGQ collective performance is
_better_ with the MPICH built-in algorithms than the PAMI_Collective
implementation, which suggests to me that the assumption that the BG
MPIDI collectives are always faster no longer holds.  This is partly
because PAMI collectives are not necessarily written for BGQ but could
also be because BGQ is less sensitive to certain types of contention
than previous iterations were.

I'm not that "post all isend/irecv pairs and waitall" is the right way
to do this is reducing memory is the goal.  There are a variety of
alternatives but I'd have to run experiments and compare to alltoallv
to know if anything of them are better.

Jeff

--
Jeff Hammond