[mpich-devel] Future of MPE?

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 15 18:14:35 CDT 2013

With respect to the question on whether MPE will be distributed with mpich, the answer is it depends on what you mean by "distribute with mpich".

If you mean, can you download one tarball and have code for both mpich and mpe, then sure, we can do that.

If you mean, I'll do configure/make/make install once and both mpich and mpe will be built, then probably not.  This requires a lot of build system hacking for MPE's configure to test for MPI features before the MPI implementation is actually built.  That's nasty; we already do that for the mpich test suite and it's a nightmare to maintain.  We don't want to do that for yet another package.

Option 1 is not really more useful than downloading MPE from a separate URL and building it separately.  That's the reason why we didn't do it.

  -- Pavan