[mpich-devel] [mpich-discuss] Use of Signed-off-by in MPICH

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 6 14:50:47 CST 2014

Michael Blocksome <blocksom at us.ibm.com> writes:

> In our workflow, often the commit is pushed to an ibm review branch, then
> the signer (usually me) does a signed-off cherry-pick to an anl review
> branch and pushes the code to mpich-ibm git repository for ANL to
> integrate. Using "signed off by" is usually much easier than playing git
> games to ensure that the author and committer are different.

When you cherry-pick, rebase, or amend, Committer will be automatically
reset; no "games".  The problem with that is there are only two pieces
of information (Author and Committer), so if Pavan (for example)
cherry-picks from your branch, the semantic information that you were a
middle-man would be lost [1].  If that semantic information is about
review rather than IP, I would use Reviewed-by instead of Signed-off-by,
but whatever the convention is/becomes, documentation and consistency is
helpful.

[1] If he merges from your branch instead of cherry-picking, then your
commit does not get rewritten and his name would be on the merge commit.