[mpich-devel] Suboptimal MPI_Allreduce() for intercommunicators

Rajeev Thakur thakur at mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 1 08:53:03 CDT 2014

>> (For example, on one side of the intercommunicator sendbuf=1 byte, recvbuf=1 gigabyte; on the other side, sendbuf=1 gigabyte, recvbuf=1 byte)
>>

> For Allreduce, you cannot have 1 byte/  1gigabyte at each side.

For intercommunicator collectives, one side gets the results from the other side. For allgather, it is specified that the communication can be of unequal amounts: MPI-3 pg 166, 9-15. I am assuming the same holds for allreduce, which just says "Both groups should provide count and datatype arguments that specify the same type signature." (188:23-24)

Rajeev