[mpich-devel] mpi is dying?

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 9 09:16:25 CDT 2015

I (and it seems quite a few others) found this yesterday:

http://www.dursi.ca/hpc-is-dying-and-mpi-is-killing-it/

The premise is a couple things:
- spark, hadoop, and the "silicon valley stack" has tremendous mindshare
- MPI is too hard for application writers
- and too challenging for library writers
- and HPC has "not invented here" blinders keeping it from adopting new
techonolgy

now, when someone writes "X is dying" it's more of an opening position
statement for a discussion than a statement of fact.    But it does
bother me immensely that there is an "HPC stack" and a "silicon valley
stack".  Convergence is happening, but not fast enough.

==rob

--
Rob Latham
Argonne National Lab, IL USA