[mpich-devel] call PMI before MPI_Init_thread?

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 23:09:54 CDT 2015

Is it valid in _MPICH_ to make calls to PMI before MPI is initialized?
 I am interested in PMI_Init, PMI_Get_size and PMI_Get_rank.

The motivating use case is to initialize e.g. half my ranks with
MPI_THREAD_FUNNELED and the other half with MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE but
not use MPMD launching.

I have two reasons for wanting to do it this way.  First, it is
otherwise unnecessary to use MPMD since I can branch at the top of my
code and meet the requirements of FUNNELED and MULTIPLE.  Second, I
might be interested in running my code on a supercomputer with an
MPICH-based MPI implementation that does not support MPMD launching in
an unrestricted manner.

If MPICH can handle this, then I will worry about whether or not the
aforementioned supercomputer can.  It is my assumption that, if MPICH
cannot handle this, then the MPICH derivative in question cannot
either.

Thanks,

Jeff Hammond
jeff.science at gmail.com