[mpich-devel] Issue with too many calls to MPIR_Add_finalize

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 03:34:40 CDT 2015

On 5 June 2015 at 01:58, Dave Goodell (dgoodell) <dgoodell at cisco.com> wrote:
>> That's a good fix.  My only concern is if we hit the limit not because it is too small, but because something is going wrong.
>
> I would also be a bit concerned about that.

So, I did the following test:

I applied my patch to 3.2b3, then modified mpi4py's test/runtests.py
slightly to run the full testsuite three successive times. Using gdb
the same way (see the ticket for details) I can confirm
MPIR_Add_finalize() is being invoked only during the first round, and
exactly 33 times ;-). So now I'm somewhat confident my patch is OK and
nothing else is going wrong.

About using a linked list, not sure whether it is worth the effort. I
would just improve the error message with some directions to increase
the array size, so if this issue ever triggers again, MPICH developers
would figure out immediately what's going on.

--
Lisandro Dalcin

4700 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
al-Khawarizmi Bldg (Bldg 1), Office # 4332
Thuwal 23955-6900, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
http://www.kaust.edu.sa

Office Phone: +966 12 808-0459