[mpich-devel] MPICH on Windows via WSL?

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 14:48:55 CDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Rob Latham <robl at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On 04/06/2016 01:52 PM, Jeff Hammond wrote:
>
>> I am still figuring out how to get it,
>>

> it's not available yet.

Good to know I am not stupid for not being able to find it.

> when it /is/ available, I'm betting Pavan is going to fire the first
> person who wastes any time on building/testing it.

I don't have to worry about that problem, at least until Min masters
diagrammatic perturbation theory :-)

> Windows Services for UNIX and the Microsoft POSIX Subsystem have been
> options for a long time.  They did not make "port MPICH to windows"
> trivial.  I suspect neither will WSL, though it takes a distinctly
> different approach.

I am more optimistic.  Maybe there will be some issues with hostname
resolution as there are today with VPNs and such, but if they make good on
the publicity, _compiling_ MPICH should not be an issue.

My motivation for getting this to work is that I have to shut my laptop for
the first and last 20 minutes of every flight I take, whereas the tablet
users get to keep theirs out end-to-end.  If I can get a *nix terminal on a
tablet, I'll be able to write that many more hours of MPI-3 code every
year.  Plus, even if I could get a BSD terminal on iPad that way I can on a
Mac Air, it supports the wrong ISA.  Fortunately, Microsoft Surface already
supports the ISA of champions, so I just need to solve the software problem.

Jeff

> ==rob

Jeff Hammond
jeff.science at gmail.com