[mpich-devel] ./configure --enable-timer-type help output missing

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 17:24:55 CDT 2016

Thanks.  I don't know the answer, but I thought there was a standard method
for implementing this.  If the MPICH team doesn't know if, then I am
certainly no help, since essentially all of my build systems and knowledge
thereof are derived from MPICH :-)

At the very least, if I know to set the --enable-timer-type option, will it
be passed on to the child configure scripts if I pass it to the top-level
configure invocation?

Jeff

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Balaji, Pavan <balaji at anl.gov> wrote:

> It is convenient to have all the help output be present in the top-level
> configure.  We need to figure out how to make that happen while still
> allowing multiple independent packages inside MPICH.  We don't have a good
> solution for that yet, but we are open to suggestions.
>
>   -- Pavan
>
> > On Apr 7, 2016, at 3:24 PM, Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I recall that the base configure script used to emit the help associated
> with --enable-timer-type.  It no longer does so, although the option is
> still present in src/mpl/configure.
> >
> > Do I have a reasonable expectation of seeing --help output for all
> options in the base configure, or am I expected to run --help against every
> configure in the tree?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> > jrhammon-mac01:git jrhammon$ ./configure --help | grep time
> >         runtime   - error checking controllable at runtime through
> environment
> >         runtime - Runtime control of data collected
> >         runtime         - Alias to "multiple"
> >   --enable-mutex-timing   calculate the time spent waiting on mutexes
> >                           speeds up one-time build
> >                           sometimes confusing) to the casual installer
> >               User-defined run-time library search path.
> > jrhammon-mac01:git jrhammon$ ./src/mpl/configure --help | grep time
> >                           speeds up one-time build
> >   --enable-timer-type=name - Select the timer to use for MPI_Wtime and
> >                              internal timestamps.
> >         gethrtime          - Solaris timer (Solaris systems only)
> >         clock_gettime      - Posix timer (where available)
> >         gettimeofday       - Most Unix systems
> >         linux86_cycle      - Linux x86; returns cycle counts, not time
> in seconds*
> >         gcc_ia64_cycle     - IPF ar.itc timer*
> > mach_absolute_time - Mach absolute time (alternative to clock_gettime
> >         device             - The timer is provided by the device
> >         *Note that the cycle timers are intended to be used by
> >               User-defined run-time library search path.
> >

> > --
> > Jeff Hammond
> > jeff.science at gmail.com
> > http://jeffhammond.github.io/