[mpich-discuss] Hangup or stall at MPI_INIT

Ryan Crocker rcrocker at uvm.edu
Thu Dec 6 23:27:47 CST 2012

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with hangups or some sort of stall.  Basically the program will keep running, or look as it if is on the cluster i'm running on (i've noticed this issue on multiple clusters actually), But nothing is happening.  When i have every processor print out they all do right before MPI_INIT and not after.  I counted the files and all the processors are entering the call.  What makes it even more odd is that the same exact simulation will run if i decrease the number of nodes/cores i'm using, i.e. i'll run on 96 cores (or more) and moving to 72 my program will run without issue.

I'm using the latest gcc compiler set with the latest version of MPICH2 configured with:

 '--with-pbs=/PBS' '--with-default-comm=pmi' '--enable-pbspro-helper' 'CC=gcc' 'LDFLAGS=-lpthread' 'CPPFLAGS=-fpic'

I've changed to the intel/mpich2 compiler set and have not had the same problem.  I have no idea what this issue could be and have had little luck finding an answer with stackoverflow or google searches any help would be much appreciated.  Also, hit me up for any more information you'd need to help.

Thanks,

My flow solver is written in fortran and here are the subroutines leading up to the MPI_INIT call, and the whole flow solver is compiled with '-O3 -ffree-line-length-none' :

! ====================================== !
program main

  call main_init
  call simulation_run
  call main_stop

end program main

! ====================================== !

subroutine main_init
  use string
  implicit none
  character(len=str_medium) :: input_name

  call parallel_init

  ! Initialize the random number generator
  call random_init

  ! Parse the input file
  call parser_init

  input_name='input'
  call parser_parsefile(input_name)

  ! Geometry initialization
  call geometry_init

  ! Data initialization
  call data_init

  ! Simulation initialization
  call simulation_init

  return
end subroutine main_init

! ====================================== !

subroutine parallel_init
  use parallel
  use parser
  implicit none
  integer :: ierr
  integer :: size_real,size_dp

  ! Initialize a first basic MPI environment

  !##### This is where it stall out #########

  call MPI_INIT(ierr)
  call MPI_COMM_RANK(MPI_COMM_WORLD,irank,ierr)
  call MPI_COMM_SIZE(MPI_COMM_WORLD,nproc,ierr)
  irank = irank+1
  iroot = 1

  ! Set MPI working precision - WP
  call MPI_TYPE_SIZE(MPI_REAL,size_real,ierr)
  call MPI_TYPE_SIZE(MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION,size_dp,ierr)
  if (WP .eq. size_real) then
     MPI_REAL_WP = MPI_REAL
  else if (WP .eq. size_dp) then
     MPI_REAL_WP = MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION
  else
     call parallel_kill('Error in parallel_init: no WP equivalent in MPI')
  end if

  ! Set MPI single precision
  call MPI_TYPE_SIZE(MPI_REAL,size_real,ierr)
  call MPI_TYPE_SIZE(MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION,size_dp,ierr)
  if (SP .eq. size_real) then
     MPI_REAL_SP = MPI_REAL
  else if (SP .eq. size_dp) then
     MPI_REAL_SP = MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION
  else
     call parallel_kill('Error in parallel_init: no SP equivalent in MPI')
  end if

  ! For now, comm should point to MPI_COMM_WORLD
  comm = MPI_COMM_WORLD

  return
end subroutine parallel_init