[mpich-discuss] Different architectures

Jim Dinan dinan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 10 10:36:24 CST 2012

Hi Peter,

Yes -- you will have to install a 32 bit build of MPICH on all machines
in your cluster, and you will also have to ensure that your application
is built as a 32-bit binary on all machines.  The problem is that 32/64
bit nodes won't agree on the sizes of basic datatypes (integer, address,
etc), which complicates communication and can have a performance impact.
  Technically, the MPI standard supports such heterogeneous system
configurations, but most MPI implementations (including MPICH) do not.

Best,
  ~Jim.