[mpich-discuss] Create account for bug tracker

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 19 11:39:26 CST 2012

A tree-based scan pattern can cause a problem, for example.  Basically, the MPI library is allowed to play with the associativity of the operations in order to provide better performance.  The operation provided in the MPI standard example is not associative:

(w,j) = (u,i)*(v,j), with w={ u+v if i=j, v if i!=j }

i,j are booleans (0 or 1)

If this operator is associative, then it must hold that:

((a,x)*(b,y))*(c,z) = (a,x)*((b,y)*(c,z)), for all (a,x),(b,y),(c,z)

So here's a counterexample proving non-associativity:

(a,x) = (a,0)
(b,y) = (b,1)
(c,z) = (c,0)

The left-hand side of the equation yields "(c,0)", while the right-hand side yields "(a+c,0)", which are clearly not equal.

The scheme that I worked out a while ago to deal with this problem involves adding a third variable to the pair, turning it into a triple.  Unfortunately I left my notes containing the scheme at home, so I'll have to send an explanation later.  In the meantime, you may wish to use the traditional edge-triggered version of the operator (cribbed from Jesper's proposed ticket https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/28):

(val0 , index0)+(val1, index1) = [if index1=0 then (value0+value1 , index) else (value1 , index), where index is set to 1 if index0=1 and set to index1 otherwise]

-Dave