[mpich-discuss] Use of MPI derived data types / MPI file IO

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 19 09:22:09 CST 2012

All datatypes that have been created (by any means) should eventually be freed by the user.  Whether or not the type has been committed has no bearing on whether it should be freed.  Although, IIRC, a committed type can consume more memory under the hood and therefore failure to free it may result in a larger memory leak than for an uncommitted type :)

-Dave