[mpich-discuss] Mpich2's behavior when too many messages are sent

Darius Buntinas buntinas at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 27 08:49:15 CST 2012

The MPI standard allows an implementation to run out of resources, so MPICH is compliant here :-). As Jeff mentioned it is a "quality of implementation" issue and some implementations might be able to handle it better than others.  Simply queuing the sends on the sender side can lead to deadlocks, so something trickier is needed (imagine that the receiver posts a blocking receive with tag A followed by a million receives with tag B, and the sender sends a million messages with tag B then one message with tag A.  If we queue the messages at the sender, the receiver will never receive the message with tag A and the program deadlocks).

We've seen such "flow-control" problems before (some in out test suite), and generally the solution is to add some sort of synchronization in the application, e.g., to an Ssend (or Issend so long as you wait on the requests often enough) once in a while to let the receiver catch up.

-d