[mpich-discuss] Hydra torque support issues

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 19 02:10:06 CDT 2013

On 04/18/2013 06:56 PM US Central Time, Bharath Ramesh wrote:
>> I'm particularly interested in whether mpiexec recognizes pbs as a
>> possible launcher or not.  If it recognizes pbs as a launcher, it should
>> automatically select it where possible.
>
> It is using pbs as the launcher. The problem is with the setting of the
> session id for the forked hydra_pmi_proxy process on mother superior.
> Since the hydra_pmi_proxy process has the session id set to the bash
> process instead mpi_exec process. As a result of this torque is unable
> to track the resources consumed by the process. If you look at the
> openmpi processes their session id is set correctly and torque is able
> to track the resources consumed.

Ah, OK.  Sorry I lost track of the original issue in this email chain.

You are right about this issue.  The basic problem is that launching
proxies using tm_spawn tends to create a different session ID for them.

I've created a ticket to track it:

https://trac.mpich.org/projects/mpich/ticket/1812

 -- Pavan

--