[mpich-discuss] Problem with MPICH when using system()

Daróczy László daroczylaszlo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 05:40:27 CDT 2013

Dear All,

                I would like to use the version 1.4.1p1 Windows x86 or x64
version. But I am having problems with it. Supposing that I write a very
simple program:

int main(int argc, char* argv[])

{

    int l_iResult=MPI_Init (&argc, &argv);

    system("\"C:\\Windows\\notepad.exe\"");

    MPI_Finalize();

    return 1;

}

                It fails to execute correctly with MPICH (e.g. mpiexec -np 1
test.exe). If I launch only test.exe, it will execute correctly. However
when using mpiexec, notepad does not appear (but it can be seen in the
process tree). Of course the actual goal is not to start notepad.exe, but I
did not succeed actually in launching any other program.

                I know that in old versions of OpenMPI system() calls were
not supported either, but new versions actually do support it, and in theory
I think MPICH supports it as well.

                I am using Visual Studio 2010 SP1 for compilation.

                                                               If anyone
could give me a clue where the problem is, I would be grateful!