[mpich-discuss] MPICH3 library inconsistencies

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 22 07:44:05 CDT 2013

On Apr 22, 2013, at 2:41 AM CDT, Markus Geimer <m.geimer at fz-juelich.de> wrote:

> While experimenting with MPICH 3.0.2 and various compilers,
> I found an inconsistency which probably isn't intended.
>
> When configuring MPICH an a Linux system for GNU or Intel
> compilers with

[snip]

> However, when configuring for Clang 3.2 (with GNU Fortran) using
>
>        ./configure --prefix=... --enable-debuginfo \
>                CC=clang CXX=clang++ F77=gfortran F90=gfortran

[snip]

> Obviously, there is an additional library 'libpmpich.a'.
> Further investigation reveals that the distribution of
> symbols across these libraries is somewhat weird, too:

[snip]

> My assumption is that something's going wrong during configure
> which subsequently messes up the build. Maybe something to
> investigate for the next bugfix release...

It looks like weak symbol detection on clang is broken/missing.  If you can, please send the config.log from your configure step (and ideally the c.txt file mentioned in the README as well).

Thanks for letting us know.  Many of us use OS X instead of Linux for daily development, which simply does not support weak symbols (in the usual sense), so this is harder for us to notice by accident.

-Dave