[mpich-discuss] mpich install help

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Thu Aug 8 15:15:44 CDT 2013

On 08/08/2013 03:12 PM, Eileen Rose Martin wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm having trouble installing mpich-3.0.4.
> I started noticing problems at step 10 of the
> install guide
> (http://www.mpich.org/static/downloads/3.0.4/mpich-3.0.4-installguide.pdf),
> so I went back to step 6, did a make clean and tried to do the
> build with verbose=1.
> Any tips on how to get this working?
> Thanks,
> Eileen

Hi Eileen

Just a guess.

You seem to be building mpich on an NFS shared directory (/net/...).
The local machine and the NFS server clocks seem to be out of sync.
'make' will get confused with this.

These warnings suggest it:

make[2]: Warning: File `src/binding/f90/mpi_constants.lo' has
modification time 1.1e+02 s in the future
   FCLD     lib/libmpichf90.la
   CC       src/env/mpichversion.o
   CCLD     src/env/mpichversion
make[2]: warning:  Clock skew detected.  Your build may be incomplete.
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/net/server/opt_local/MPI/mpich-3.0.4/mpich-3.0.4'
Making all in examples

I would first synchronize the two machine clocks (use ntp !),
or as an easier alternative, build mpich on a local directory,
starting fresh in both cases.

My two cents,
Gus Correa