[mpich-discuss] MPI_init very slow with more than 3 nodes

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Dec 3 12:15:20 CST 2013

One thing you could try is to install mpich on a non-NFS directory such as /tmp and run a program that is also not on NFS to see if the problem persists.

You can build mpich on an NFS directory with --prefix=/tmp/mpich and then do “make install” on each machine.

Similarly for the “application”, you can run “/bin/hostname” or something similar.

  — Pavan

On Dec 3, 2013, at 12:06 PM, Antonio J. Peña <apenya at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Yes, it may be a good idea to look into that. Hopefully somebody in this list with NFS knowledge will give you a hint.
>
>   Antonio
>

> On 12/03/2013 09:48 AM, Bixente BODO GOMEZ wrote:
>> I send a extract of tcpdump.  It seems that the problem is in the file attribues o locks of nfs.  I changed fstab on clients to add these options:
>>
>> nfsvers=3,rw,bg,noac,rsize=8192,wsize=8192
>>
>> but nothing has improved.
>>
>> "Antonio J. Peña" <apenya at mcs.anl.gov> escribió:
>>
>>> I don't think this is helping. Maybe tcpdump / wireshark captures could be helpful.
>>>
>>>   Antonio

>>> --
>>> Antonio J. Peña
>>> Postdoctoral Appointee
>>> Mathematics and Computer Science Division
>>> Argonne National Laboratory
>>> 9700 South Cass Avenue, Bldg. 240, Of. 3148
>>> Argonne, IL 60439-4847
>>> (+1) 630-252-7928
>>> apenya at mcs.anl.gov
>>> www.mcs.anl.gov/~apenya

> Antonio J. Peña
> Postdoctoral Appointee
> Mathematics and Computer Science Division
> Argonne National Laboratory
> 9700 South Cass Avenue, Bldg. 240, Of. 3148
> Argonne, IL 60439-4847
>
> apenya at mcs.anl.gov
> www.mcs.anl.gov/~apenya

Pavan Balaji