[mpich-discuss] mpifort wrapper compiler?

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Thu Dec 5 10:57:48 CST 2013

Amusingly enough, Bill Gropp was one of the ones who told me that consolidating down to a single "mpifort" would be a Good Idea.

:-)

FWIW, Rolf R. and Craig R. also told me this was a good idea -- we did quite a bit of legwork before making this decision.

My only reason for trying to convince you to do this is because it's helpful to users if they can just always rely on "mpifort".

Perhaps there are some special/obscure platforms where it *does* make sense to have a separate "77" compiler, but on those platforms, a) maybe you can/should have a different build of your MPI for that compiler, and/or b) perhaps you can create a separate "mpif77" *just for that platform* (i.e., usually, it's just a sym link to mpifort).

Just my $0.02.  :-)