[mpich-discuss] I have a question about using MPICH2 1.4.1p1 for Windows

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Dec 6 16:51:26 CST 2013

Absolutely.  MS-MPI provides full support for Windows.  In fact, very recently, Microsoft provided several updates to their stack including making it freely available and distributable.  They are working on adding more features as well.

Windows is a first-class supported platform for Intel MPI as well.

MPICH doesn’t support windows due to lack of developer bandwidth.  That’s got nothing to do with how widely the platform is used or supported.

  — Pavan

On Dec 6, 2013, at 4:10 PM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquyres at cisco.com> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2013, at 10:55 AM, Wesley Bland <wbland at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
>> The biggest recommendation would be to not use Windows. While there is certainly a community of people who do use Windows for scientific computing, it’s shrinking all of the time. Even Microsoft is de-prioritizing this kind of work.
>
> Not to put too fine a point on it, but I don't think you should be speaking for Microsoft like that.
>
> Indeed, if I had to guess, I think Microsoft would vigorously disagree with your assessment.
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> jsquyres at cisco.com

Pavan Balaji