[mpich-discuss] Affinity with MPICH_ASYNC_PROGRESS

Jeff Hammond jhammond at alcf.anl.gov
Sat Feb 23 18:49:18 CST 2013

My understanding, having looked at the code for this, is that no
thread binding is set.  The OS will hopefully do the right thing when
the cores are undersubscribed, but I see no thread affinity code in
the MPICH source for the comm threads.  MVAPICH has some additional
(i.e. non-MPICH) affinity code but I think it is mostly for
process-binding.

I have a modified version of MPICH that allows the user to set the
affinity of the comm threads explicitly.  I was interested in pinning
all of the comm threads to one core and letting them fight for time.
For example, on an 8-core node, I was hoping to get async progress on
7 processes by pinning 7 comm threads to the 8th core.

My patches for setting comm thread affinity are pretty simple.  I
assume you want me to share them?

Jeff