[mpich-discuss] mpich 3.0.2 last release

Angelo Paone angelo.paone1 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 19:47:35 CST 2013

The matter of fact is that:

I am installing a Titan2d software (from Buffalo University, Geophysical
Mass Flow Group) in cygwin, I make a directory titan-3.0.0 (3.0.0 is the
last version), under this directory I run $ sh install-titan.sh

This script will automatically check for both MPI and HDF5 installation. If
MPI is not found in its standard location, then the user will be prompted
to enter its absolute path, or quit installation. If this script is unable
to locate HDF5, then the user will be prompted to enter its absolute path
or continue without installing HDF5.

Through the process of installetion I got this error:

$ sh install-titan.sh /usr checking for a BSD-compatible install...
/usr/bin/install -c

checking whether build environment is sane... yes checking for gawk... gawk

checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.exe

checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes

checking for suffix of executables... .exe

checking whether /usr/local/bin/mpiCC accepts -g... yes

checking dependency style of /usr/local/bin/mpiCC... gcc3

checking for gcc... /usr/local/bin/mpicc checking whether we are using the
GNU C compiler... yes

checking whether /usr/local/bin/mpicc accepts -g... yes

checking for /usr/local/bin/mpicc option to accept ANSI C... none needed

checking dependency style of /usr/local/bin/mpicc... gcc3

checking for g77... g77

checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... yes

checking whether g77 accepts -g... yes

checking how to run the C preprocessor... /usr/local/bin/mpicc -E

checking whether ln -s works... yes

checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes

checking for ranlib... ranlib

checking how to get verbose linking output from g77... -v

checking for Fortran libraries of g77...
-L/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4
-L/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/../../.. -lfrtbegin -lg2c -lcygwin
-luser32 -lkernel32 -ladvapi32 -lshell32

checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no

checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... no

checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no

checking build system type... i686-pc-cygwin

checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin checking for pthread_create in
-lpthread... yes

checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config

*checking for MPICH2... configure: error: Package requirements (mpich2-ch3)
were not met:*

*Variable 'exec_prefix' not defined in
'/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/mpich2-ch3.pc'*

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables MPICH2_CFLAGS and
MPICH2_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config. See the pkg-config man
page for more details.

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop. make: Nothing
to be done for `install'.

I have installed either the openmpi from the cygwin setup, I choose full
package installation so a series of mpi packages are automatically
downloaded and installed, as well as I downloaded the last release of
mpich-3.0.2 and an older release mpich2-1.2.1p1 and I installed in cygwin
with configure, make, make install. However, titan2d installation error
tell me that the Package requirements (mpich2-ch3) were not met. I know
from the titan2d user guide that "If there are multiple copies of MPI on
your machine, this script will find and use the first one in your path". I
do not get why my instalaltion comes with this error. Any help will be
greatly appreciated

Angelo