[mpich-discuss] Debugging mpi program using mpich

Jim Dinan dinan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 27 08:42:42 CST 2013

On 2/27/13 3:03 AM, Mathieu Dutour wrote:
> Thank you very much! That will be helpful.
> Still what I meant was something a little different.
> I would like to have a mode in mpi where every little error is reported.
> "Like process 1 has send data of length 10 but process 0 needed only 9
> at line 400 and 500"
> "mpi process request at line 240 has not been honored"
> "process has left without mpi_finalize"
> "mpi_sent uses MPI_FLOAT but corresponding mpi_recv uses MPI_DOUBLE"

MPICH will already detect and report many common errors like the one you
described.  That said, our coverage could definitely use improvement and
we're always glad to get reports of specific errors that should be, but
are not detected.

> Also deadly embrace could be detected by the mpi library I think.

I look forward to your patch.  ;)

> All this kind of debugging would be extremely helpful in practice and I
> would gladly sacrifice speed if that allows to avoid the long thankless
> work of debugging.

We definitely agree that this would be extremely useful.  We have
limited developer time available, but are always happy to partner with
others in the development of such features.

Best,
  ~Jim.