[mpich-discuss] Deadlock in MPI_Ibarrier over ch3:sock

Jim Dinan dinan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 23 14:58:43 CST 2013

On 1/23/13 2:50 PM, Pavan Balaji wrote:

> On 01/23/2013 02:44 PM US Central Time, Dave Goodell wrote:
>>> Are you still supporting ch3:sock?
>>
>> We are, although we have chosen not to support a small subset of the
>> MPI-3 functionality in ch3:sock, such as shared memory windows.
>
> It's a pedantic detail, but MPI-3 says that shared memory is supported
> on a communicator returned by Comm_split_type.  For ch3:sock, we return
> MPI_COMM_SELF, so technically we do support shared memory windows, but
> only on that process :-D.

We intend to provide support for a default MPI_COMM_SELF implementation
of shared memory windows in ch3.  Shared memory windows are fully
implemented in Nemesis, but not ch3, so if you were to try using them
right now with sock, you would get a not implemented error.  If anyone
needs this (presumably for portability), I'd be happy to bump the
priority on ticket #1666.

https://trac.mpich.org/projects/mpich/ticket/1666

  ~Jim.