[mpich-discuss] MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE support on ch3:sock?

Nicolas Rosner nrosner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 13:34:41 CST 2013

Hello,

I'm trying to configure MPICH2 1.5 with the sock device and MULTIPLE
thread support level.

At first I configured without specifying anything about threads (since
on my MPICH2 1.4.x machines, using just --with-device=ch3:sock does
seem to build with MULTIPLE support by default). But all I obtained
was SINGLE.

So I tried to reconfigure the 1.5 release, now explicitly specifying
--enable-threads=multiple, and got:

  error: The device ch3:sock does not support MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE

Yet on the README for the 1.5 release, I see:

  --enable-threads - Build MPICH2 with support for multi-threaded
                     applications. Only the sock and nemesis channels
                     support MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE.

Should this work? Any differences between 1.4 and 1.5 on this?

Thanks,
Nicolás