[mpich-discuss] Question on MPI_Pack/Unpack

Dries Kimpe dkimpe at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 18 10:29:07 CDT 2013

There's another function for MPI_Pack.

It deals with encoding for non-homogeneous systems.

For example, it might convert between different representations of double
floating point numbers.

Normally, this happens automatically (assuming a proper datatype was
given) in MPI_Send/MPI_Recv.

MPI_Pack does this while it encodes into a contiguous buffer,
which is why you're supposed to use the MPI_PACKED datatype when sending
packed data, so the implementation knows not to convert the data.

   Dries

* Antonio J. Peña <apenya at mcs.anl.gov> [2013-07-18 10:16:04]: