[mpich-discuss] How to keep the VS console window open on exceptions during debug of a parallel code

Feng Xiao fxiao at mymail.mines.edu
Thu Jun 13 08:38:14 CDT 2013

Hello all,

I am writing about how to keep the console window open on exceptions during
debug of a parallel code (either F5 or Ctrl+F5).
I am running MPICH2 FORTRAN program in Visual Studio 2010, everything works
fine, expect that I could not see the exception/error messages on the
console window, it closes right after the program exits on exceptions.
I do know how to keep the console window open when program meets the end,
or put a read statement to pause the program during the execution.
I did some google search, the only relevant solution I could find is
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_36_0/libs/test/doc/html/utf/usage-recommendations/dot-net-specific.html,
which is about making debugger break at the point the failure by adding
extra command line argument and seeing the runtime error in the output
window. However, it looks like something for a serial code without
mpiexec.exe in the command line, and I am not a advanced VS user, so I
don't know how to do it for a parallel code, or if there is any other way
out.

Thanks in advance!

--
Feng Xiao