[mpich-discuss] Problem with ADIOI_Info_get (MPI_Info_get) from the ADIO layer

Matthieu Dorier matthieu.dorier at irisa.fr
Mon Jun 24 15:46:21 CDT 2013

Hi,

I'm implementing an ADIO backend and I'm having problems retrieving values from the MPI_Info attached to the file.
On the application side, I have something like this:

MPI_Info_create(&info);
MPI_Info_set(info,"cb_buffer_size","64");
MPI_Info_set(info,"xyz","3");
MPI_File_open(comm, "file",
MPI_MODE_WRONLY | MPI_MODE_CREATE, info, &fh);

then a call to a MPI_File_write, which ends up calling my implementation of ADIOI_xxx_WriteContig. In this function, I try to read back these info:

int info_flag;
char* value = (char *) ADIOI_Malloc((MPI_MAX_INFO_VAL+1)*sizeof(char));
ADIOI_Info_get(fd->info, "xyz", MPI_MAX_INFO_VAL, value,&info_flag);
if(info_flag) fprintf(stderr,"xyz = %d\n",atoi(value));
ADIOI_Info_get(fd->info, "cb_buffer_size", MPI_MAX_INFO_VAL, value,&info_flag);
if(info_flag) fprintf(stderr,"cb_buffer_size = %d\n",atoi(value));

I can get the 64 associated to the cb_buffer_size key (which is a reserved hint), but I don't get the second value.
Where does the problem come from?
I tried everything: re-ordering the calls, changing the name of the key, calling MPI_Info_get in the application to check that the values are properly set (they are)...

Thanks

Matthieu Dorier
PhD student at ENS Cachan Brittany and IRISA
http://people.irisa.fr/Matthieu.Dorier