[mpich-discuss] Non-blocking collectives

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jun 29 13:25:12 CDT 2013

rreddypsc at gmail.com writes:

> I apologize for creating a new thread, I have accidentally deleted the

Yes.

> Or do they wait until all of them have called MPI_Wait?

No, that would make the MPI_Wait synchronizing, mostly defeating any
potential benefit of non-blocking collectives.  Note that the
non-blocking request can complete in other ways, e.g., via MPI_Test.

> On the contrary, if one of the ranks calls MPI_Wait (without calling the
> non-blocking collective, which is an incorrect program), will the MPI_Wait
> be satisfied?

This doesn't even make sense.  Where would you be getting an MPI_Request
on which to call MPI_Wait?