[mpich-discuss] Semantics of asynchronous I/O operations in MPI3

Matthieu Dorier matthieu.dorier at irisa.fr
Fri Mar 8 08:04:02 CST 2013

Hi,

I can't manage to find a clear answer to this question in the MPI3 standard book;
Assume we chain several asynchronous I/O operation on the same file, such as

MPI_File_iwrite(...)
MPI_File_set_view(...)
MPI_File_iwrite(...)
MPI_File_iwrite(...)
MPI_Wait_all(all requests from previous calls)

(equivalently with any other collective or independent asynchronous file accesses)
Is an implementation of the MPI3 standard supposed to perform these operations in the same order than the functions are called, or can they be re-ordered if they are not in conflict (regions written are distinct)?

Thanks!

Matthieu Dorier
PhD student at ENS Cachan Brittany and IRISA
http://people.irisa.fr/Matthieu.Dorier