[mpich-discuss] Possible bug: --enable-g=all configure option does not include all other --enable-g options

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 11 16:30:27 CDT 2013

On Mar 11, 2013, at 3:36 PM CDT, Jeremiah Willcock <jewillco at osl.iu.edu> wrote:

> In MPICH 3.0.2, the help message for the --enable-g=all configure option states that it enables "All of the above choices", but in fact (according to configure.ac) it does not enable the "handle" or "memarena" debugging flags.  Is that the intended behavior?  Thank you for your help.

The situation is unclear.  I just did a little bit of git archaeology and it looks like these flags were added prior to MPICH2-1.0.6, which is as far back as I can look without having to sift through ancient CVS history.  The pickaxe doesn't show any place where variables corresponding to those flags might have been removed from the "all|yes)"  case.  It looks like just a mistake or sloppiness on someone's part in the distant past.

I'm not sure what the right "fix" is.  The "memarena" option actually introduces quite a bit of overhead that we may not want enabled casually.  The "handles" option is pretty lightweight, at least in stock MPICH.  I suppose we could add both to the "all" option and then change the "yes" option to be a set of reasonable defaults instead.

Do you have a preference?  Or are you just observing a discrepancy?

-Dave