[mpich-discuss] running out of communicators

Ryan Crocker rcrocker at uvm.edu
Tue Mar 19 19:57:01 CDT 2013

I realized i forgot to attach the error:

Fatal error in PMPI_Comm_dup: Other MPI error, error stack:
PMPI_Comm_dup(176)............: MPI_Comm_dup(comm=0x84000000, new_comm=0x7fff5fbfe9a4) failed
PMPI_Comm_dup(161)............:
MPIR_Comm_dup_impl(55)........:
MPIR_Comm_copy(967)...........:
MPIR_Get_contextid(521).......:
MPIR_Get_contextid_sparse(752): Too many communicators

Hi all,

So i can't seem to find the answer to this question.  I keep getting the failure "Too many communicators".  Could someone explain what calls "use up" communicators, and could i be calling/using more than the default total?.  I'm trying to debug my code so i can free up the communicators and not just repeatedly create them.  I'm a bit perplexed with this, probably a lack of  in depth knowledge, but i only run any of my MPI initializations one time then all my calls with mpi are either sums, max, min, allreduce, alltoall.

thanks

Ryan Crocker
University of Vermont, School of Engineering
Mechanical Engineering Department
rcrocker at uvm.edu
315-212-7331