[mpich-discuss] where is two-phase I/O implemented

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 6 10:38:11 CDT 2013

On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 11:41:52AM +0200, Matthieu Dorier wrote:
> Btw how does Mpich knows which ADIO backend to use, in general? (and
> more specifically how does ADIOI_GEN_ReadStridedColl knows that it
> has to use ADIOI_BGL_ReadContig?) Does it have something to do with
> the fact that for instance with PVFS2 when the kernel module is not
> used, the filename should be prefixed by pvfs2:// ? If I want to
> develop a new ADIO backend, how can I make it such that filenames
> prefixed with myfilesystem:// will use this backend? (Maybe there's
> a documentation for that somewhere?)

To add a bit upon what Dries answered

Yes, if you prefix the file name, ROMIO will parse that and select the
right set of function pointers.

ROMIO will also try to guess the file system type (usually with a
'statfs' call.)  See the functions in adio/common/ad_fstype.c.

It's a bit of a mess because on some platforms one calls statfs,
others one calls fstatfs, etc.  If you squint around the preprocessor
directives I hope it eventually makes sense.  Don't hesitate to ask me
questions -- it's probably the messiest part of ROMIO ...

==rob

> Thanks,
>
> Matthieu

Rob Latham