[mpich-discuss] weird behavior with mpiexe (3.0.4)

Edscott Wilson edscott.wilson.garcia at gmail.com
Wed May 29 16:37:31 CDT 2013

2013/5/29 Jeff Hammond <jhammond at alcf.anl.gov>

> > Wouldn't a message such as "`pwd` directory does not exist on node
> velascoj"
> > be more illustrative?
>
> Yes.  However, the set of improper uses of MPI that could generate
> helpful error messages is uncountable.  Do you not think it is a good
> use of finite developer effort to implement an infinitesimal fraction
> of  such warnings?  There has to be a minimum requirement placed upon
> the user.  I personally think that it should include running in a
> directory that actually exists.

Certainly! But then again, some developer must have thought it a good idea,
since under different circumstances, I get:

/bin/bash -c  mpiexec -n 1 -hosts tauro,velascoj gmandel
[proxy:0:0 at tauro] launch_procs (./pm/pmiserv/pmip_cb.c:648): unable to
change wdir to /tmp/edscott/mnt/tauro-home/GIT/gmandel (No such file or
directory)
[proxy:0:0 at tauro] HYD_pmcd_pmip_control_cmd_cb
(./pm/pmiserv/pmip_cb.c:893): launch_procs returned error
[proxy:0:0 at tauro] HYDT_dmxu_poll_wait_for_event
(./tools/demux/demux_poll.c:77): callback returned error status
[proxy:0:0 at tauro] main (./pm/pmiserv/pmip.c:206): demux engine error
waiting for event
[mpiexec at velascoj] control_cb (./pm/pmiserv/pmiserv_cb.c:202): assert
(!closed) failed
[mpiexec at velascoj] HYDT_dmxu_poll_wait_for_event
(./tools/demux/demux_poll.c:77): callback returned error status
[mpiexec at velascoj] HYD_pmci_wait_for_completion
(./pm/pmiserv/pmiserv_pmci.c:197): error waiting for event
[mpiexec at velascoj] main (./ui/mpich/mpiexec.c:331): process manager error
waiting for completion

Which is inconsistent with the previous behavior. Anyways, its no big deal.

BTW, would you happen to know why a process which is started with
MPI_Comm_spawn will go into what seems like an active wait after
MPI_Comm_disconnect and MPI_Finalize has been called? These spawned
processed will hog up CPU until the parent process exits. Curious enough,
this behavior is not mirrored in openmpi.

Edscott

Dr. Edscott Wilson Garcia
Applied Mathematics and Computing
Mexican Petroleum Institute