[mpich-discuss] Predefined datatype implementation

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 19 13:50:00 CST 2013

Pavan Balaji <balaji at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> FWIW, even if MPI_VERSION and MPI_SUBVERSION are set correctly,
> there’s no guarantee that these types are available.  Types are only
> defined based on what compiler you use.  For example, if you use a C89
> only compiler, these types will not be available.

Though with MPICH, that is decided at configure time.  If you later add
-std=c89, the header does not avoid defining the types.  Note that some
applications need to build different modules with different language
standards.

> configure is the only reliable check for these.

That's what we have always done, but it ends up being quite a lot of
configure tests and some people complain because configure takes 100x
longer on a multi-million dollar file system than it takes on a laptop,
so I was double-checking that they were all necessary.