[mpich-discuss] [mpich2-maint] Some Problem when using Jumpshot and Solution Wanted

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 21 08:38:24 CDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 07:24:45PM -0500, Rusty Lusk wrote:
> How big is the log file you are trying to read?

The message Rusty replied to has a date of 14 April 2011.  If that's
right, then the reporter might want to try with a more recent version
of MPE  -- Anthony made a commit 10 August 2011 with a message that
suggests upgrading might be helpful:

http://git.mpich.org/mpe.git/commit/b53bf7956918687a71a5c627eb1720b50e468bbf

==rob

> Rusty
>
> On Thursday,Apr 14, 2011, at 4:09 AM, 李敏 wrote:
>
> > Dear Sir,
> >   I'am writing to reflect some problem when using the performance analysis tool Jumpshot of your Laboratory.
> >   Jumpshot has huge advantage over the other performance analysis tool in terms of visualizing huge trace file and has faster process speed. But when I opened a slog2 trace file of 64M, it can't load the file normally. It reported error messages as follows:
> > Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
> >  at viewer.zoomable.ScaledSlider.setDefaultLabelTable(ScaledSlider.java:172)
> >  at viewer.zoomable.ScaledSlider.setMaxLabel(ScaledSlider.java:186)
> >  at viewer.zoomable.ScaledSlider.setMaxLabel(ScaledSlider.java:190)
> >  at viewer.zoomable.RowAdjustments.initSlidersAndTextFields(RowAdjustments.java:161)
> >  at viewer.timelines.TimelinePanel.init(TimelinePanel.java:393)
> >  at viewer.timelines.TimelineFrame.init(TimelineFrame.java:57)
> >  at viewer.first.LogFileOperations$1.finished(LogFileOperations.java:246)
> >  at viewer.common.SwingWorker$1.run(SwingWorker.java:103)
> >  at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
> >  at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
> >  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
> >  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown So urce)
> >  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
> >  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
> >  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
> >  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
> >
> > I thought the memory  of JVM is not enough at first, so I set the prameter -Xmx4096m. But it didn't work either. So could  you explain this problem for me and give the solution? I will appreciate a lot  if you could spare a little time for my confusion. I'm looking forward to your reply.
> >                                                                                                                          yours sincerely
> >                                                                                                                                        Sarah

Rob Latham
Argonne National Lab, IL USA