[mpich-discuss] Failed to allocate memory for an unexpected message

Luiz Carlos da Costa Junior lcjunior at ufrj.br
Wed Oct 23 16:22:23 CDT 2013

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I confess I have to study a bit more about this, but I think I understood
your suggestion.
After a little research, I understood that when I use MPI_IRecv I am
performing a non-blocking operation to just inform that I have a message to
receive and then after MPI_Waitany returns I can access data to write it on
the file. In this kind of implementation, I inform that I have a bunch of
messages to receive from worker processes and, because of that, I would
have to have a buffer in the writer process to receive messages
asynchronously. The higher efficiency is archived because, while the writer
process is performing the IO operation (writing to hard disk), MPI can
transfer the received data in the meanwhile to my pre-allocated buffer in
my application. Is all this right?

But, what if I don't know the number of messages I will receive?
That's my case, actually... I don't even know which worker process will
send me data and I also don't know how many times each one of them will
send me messages. I use a master-slaves scheme to distribute tasks, so the
number of calculations done in each worker process (and thus, data send to
writer process) depends on the speed each worker and how many times they
ask for tasks. It is easy to deal with messages coming from a unknown
sender, but I don't know how to deal with an unknown number of messages
(i.e., how many MPI_IRecv I have to call?). Any idea?

As I said before, I considered having more than one writer process, but I
can't see how this would solve the problem, that seems to be related to IO
disk speed. In other words, why it would be worth having more than one
writer process if, at the end, I have only one hard disk to perform IO
operations?

Thanks again.

Regards, Luiz