[mpich-discuss] MPICH2 on LAN with Ubuntu 12.04

heshsham basit hf.basit1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 05:05:41 CDT 2013

Hi Jeff,

Thanks a lot for your replies.
I followed the instructions given here
wiki.mpich.org/mpich/index.php/Using_the_Hydra_Process_Manager1

for running MPI program on multiple machines:

My master node is : 192.168.1.4
My client is:  192.168.1.6

I gave the following command from 192.168.1.4

root at ubuntu:/home# mpiexec -f hosts.cfg -n 4 hello
root at 192.168.1.6's password:
[proxy:0:0 at hesh] HYDU_sock_connect (./utils/sock/sock.c:171): unable to get
host address for ubuntu (1)
[proxy:0:0 at hesh] main (./pm/pmiserv/pmip.c:209): unable to connect to
server ubuntu at port 42104 (check for firewalls!)

Why I am getting there errors?

Both the machines have locally generated executable hello. Do I must have
same executable copied in both machines?

 On master node 192.168.1.4
root at ubuntu:/home# ls
acme  hello  hosts.cfg  mpi_hello.c

On client  192.168.1.6

root at hesh:/home#ls
hesh hello

hello in each machine sis generated after compilation locally.