[mpich-discuss] MPICH2 on heterogeneous platforms

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Oct 27 09:15:30 CDT 2013

On Oct 27, 2013, at 12:54 AM, heshsham basit <hf.basit1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wondering if it Is possible to use MPICH2 on heterogeneous platforms such as one where OS and Processor make are different on different machines?

It’ll work correctly as long as the datatype representations are consistent.  For example, if both are little endian machines with the same size for integers, doubles, etc., it’ll be fine.  For example, if you have x86_64 processors on both machines, but are using two different variants of 64-bit linux (and the same compiler on both machines), it should be OK.

Nevertheless, we don’t really support such configurations.  So if things break, you are on your own.  :-)

  —- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji