[mpich-discuss] Failed to allocate memory for an unexpected message

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 31 13:31:52 CDT 2013

On Oct 31, 2013, at 12:14 PM, Luiz Carlos da Costa Junior <lcjunior at ufrj.br> wrote:
> I noticed that the numbers of 261895 or 261894 unexpected messages appear every time.
> I am using AWS machine with 60GB of RAM memory to run my application. We could see during the execution that there was more than 30 GB available.
> Is this a internal limitation of MPICH implementation? Would it be possible to recompile MPICH setting a different parameter?
> Do you know where exactly this limitation occurs?

Unexpected messages is a bad idea in general.  Even if it’s an internal parameter setting (which it isn’t), it’s not a good idea to just increase it.

Can you modify your application to not have that many unexpected messages?  See my note on how you can post Irecvs to avoid this.

  —- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji