[mpich-discuss] Largest number of MPI threads in a system

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 15:18:59 CDT 2013

Yes, we can :-)  I've run 64 ppn on 48 racks of Mira, which is 3145728
MPI threads.  But this is not the best one can do...

>From http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~chrisc/COURSES/PARALLEL/SPRING-2013/papers/sequoia-ross-pads-2013.pdf:

"The benchmark has 251 million PHOLD logical processes and was
executed in several congurations up to a peak of 7.86 million MPI
tasks running on 1,966,080 cores."

You'll need to get on to Tianhe-1 if you want to run on more
_hardware_ threads that that.

Jeff